Below is a representative sample of some of the matters the firm has handled:
- Defend apparel design, manufacturing and retail companies against copyright infringement claims.
- Represent shareholders, members, partners, directors, officers, and business entities in corporate governance and separation litigation.
- Represented Canadian, U.K., European, Japanese, and Taiwanese companies in numerous business, commercial, and intellectual property cases.
- Represented owner of event services company in corporate dissolution lawsuit. Prosecuted claims against business partner and negotiated winding up of company and disposition of assets.
- Handled recognition and enforcement in California Superior Court of sister-state judgment on behalf of Taiwanese company against Nevada debtor. Collected full amount of judgment for the creditor.
- Represented apparel manufacturing company against garment broker in prosecuting breach of contract, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Represented member of California LLC in breach of contract, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty case against LLC and other owners and operators of restaurant and food sales business. Negotiated favorable settlement causing relinquishment of ownership and control of the business to our client.
- Represented minority shareholder in breach of contract, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duty dispute involving owners and operators of apparel design and retail business.
- Defended Canadian retailer against California Labor Commissioner wage and hour and guarantor proportionate share and joint liability claims under Cal. Labor Code.
- Defended tow truck company against California Labor Commissioner wage and hour claims under Cal. Labor Code.
- Represented small online retailer in defending against claims for trademark infringement by nationwide consumer goods retailer. Convinced plaintiff to accept settlement of claims for less than 10% of the money it originally demanded.
- Represented minority shareholder in breach of contract, fraud, and conversion corporate governance case involving owners of car wash chain. Negotiated favorable settlement, dismissal of all claims, and redemption of client’s stock.
- Represented nationwide retailer in defending registered trademark infringement, false designation of origin, and unfair competition claims, and prosecuted declaratory judgment, opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB).
- Represented Los Angeles video game and film production studio in defense of wage and hour claims brought against it by former production employee. Defended client at jury trial; convinced the jury to award plaintiff no more than approximately 20% of what she sought.
- Represented Los Angeles apparel designer and wholesaler in the prosecution of copyright and trademark infringement claims against competitors who produced and sold counterfeit goods. Prepared successful motions for preliminary injunction, seizure, and impoundment of infringing goods.
- Represented shareholder, director and officer of real estate brokerage in corporate dispute with other shareholders. Negotiated and drafted stock redemption, employment severance, and settlement agreements with the brokerage; avoided litigation and obtained maximum amount of money that client demanded in redemption.
- Represented documentary film production company and its president in copyright infringement, breach of contract, and trespass to chattels dispute against film editor. Negotiated and drafted confidential settlement agreement, intellectual property assignment, film editor services contract, and on-screen credit agreement.
- Defended business and its shareholders in defense of federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act lawsuit. Plaintiff originally demanded $1.5 million in damages, but settled for $12,000 including attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Represent clients in trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings before the TTAB.
Business Transactions & Corporate
- Structure, form, and implement operational aspects of corporations, limited liability companies (LLCs) and partnerships for various clients, including apparel designers and retailers, software and application developers, and independent film producers.
- Search, registration, and maintenance of trademarks with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
- Search and registration of copyrights with the U.S. Copyright Office.
- Copyright and trademark clearances, chain of title analysis, and management of intellectual property portfolios.
- Analyze, research, negotiate, and draft variety of art law transactions, including copyright registrations, domestic and international copyright and trademark licenses, commissions, exhibitions, sales and donative transfers, and employment and independent contractor agreements.
- Represented LLC in redemption of founding member’s interest, sale of LLC’s assets to a buyer with $102 million/year in revenue. Negotiated and drafted employment contract between acquiring company and LLC’s co-founder.
- Represented founding partner in establishing general partnership for software development. Negotiated and drafted partnership agreement.
- Represent studio that produces content for the video game and film industries throughout the United States and Asia. Negotiated and drafted various entertainment, intellectual property, corporate, commercial lease, and employment transactions for the client.
- Represented client in structuring and drafting various agreements with artists to commission and license graphic artwork in apparel merchandising.
- Structured and drafted joint ownership and licensing of intellectual property between highly successful developers of mobile phone applications.
- Researched, negotiated, and drafted non-disclosure and licensing agreements between Los Angeles fashion designer and Chinese textile manufacturer.
- Negotiated and drafted numerous indemnity agreements and settlement agreements.
*Identities of parties to litigation and business matters is not disclosed here to protect the privacy of clients and the parties.